Sunday, October 17, 2010

Back to the Symphony

We haven't been to see a symphony since BYU, when we used to go fairly often. To make up for it, we bought a five concert package and the first one was last night. My impressions and a few photos on the other side.

This is from the walk in, crossing over from the parking lot.

We bought the cheapest tickets, far right, 5 rows back, but it's quite a view. The sound was spectacular, though since we were on the right, we couldn't see the pianist. The basses and cellos were right in front of us though, and we had a great view of the conductor.
The performance was so much fun. The guest conductor was Carlos Kalmar, whose enthusiasm was infectious. They opened with Liszt's 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody, which was punched the energy up immediately. This was followed by Bartok's Piano Concerto No. 2. The guest soloist was Yuja Wang. The only time I wished for different seats was when she played, I would have loved to see her fingers. She did an incredible job. The final piece was Brahm's Piano Quartet #1 orchestrated by Schoenberg. This was my favorite by far. The use of the orchestra was amazing and really showed off the talent of the individual performers. I can't wait for the next concert, too bad it's not till January. Music Hall is really a beautiful building, I'll try and get some pictures of the front next time, but here's the chandelier (I don't know how the clown in the front got in my picture).

2 comments:

  1. If you'd moved more there wouldn't be a problem. Fast people are blurry, and blurry people are hard to identify, I know, I watch TV.

    ReplyDelete