So New Music Monday was supposed to be a weekly thing, but after listening to my latest haul from the library today while writing, I put on Sleigh Bells’ debut album and had to stop and listen to the whole thing straight through. I can't remember the last time a record hit me like this does. More after the jump.

Treats- Sleigh Bells
Turn it up! If you like it loud, this album’s a must. Fantastic and so hard hitting. Treats is like some twisted Led Zeppelin meets your high school dance team meets My Bloody Valentine, and then someone tries to blow out the speakers. Every song has just a little different flavor; hip-hop, shoegaze, Jack White guitars, and it’s all mixed to blow your system. I’ve never heard anything quite like it before and it’s a trip. Go try it out. Like a good punk album, it’s two minutes over half an hour, what do you have to lose?
Highlights:
Impossible to pick one, just listen to it straight through.
Rill Rill might be my favorite, though Riot Rhythm and Kids are sure close.
Tell ‘Em and Treats are the perfect bookends to this album. Especially in our digital age it’s nice to find an album that’s arranged like a single entity. This plays like it was meant to be listened to straight through, Tell ‘Em opens things with a bang and Treats blows things up at the close. I don’t know of another album so well framed by as this one.
For a more eloquent review, check out Pitchfork's take. If you've already heard it (since I'm always last to know), tell me what you think.
s
No comments:
Post a Comment